What Do the Volkswagen Model Names Mean?
At Mike Haggerty Volkswagen, we have a wide selection of vehicles for Chicago drivers, from new Volkswagen models to a diverse list of pre-owned cars — but our most common question is always about Volkswagen: what do the Volkswagen model names mean? We’re here to answer all Orland Park and Countryside drivers’ questions, including this popular bit of trivia.
What’s in a Name?
- Atlas: The first Volkswagen of its kind, the Atlas (pictured above) is a seven-passenger SUV built to carry your family wherever it’s headed. Could there be a better name than the titan who holds the Earth on his shoulders?
- Beetle: Originally the Volkswagen Type 1, this now-iconic car’s name sprung from a nickname from the way its original design resembled certain beetles (though not The Beatles). New Beetle models and used Beetle models still catch the eye.
- CC: The CC is a simple one; it’s just an abbreviation for “Comfort Coupe.”
- Eos: Eos was a Greek goddess who reigned over the dawn — could there be a more fitting name for a convertible with incredible views of the Chicago skyline?
- Golf: There was a brief trend with the smaller Volkswagen cars — like the Golf — naming them after natural occurrences, and the Golf gets its name from the German for Gulf Stream.
- Jetta: Much like the Golf, the Jetta takes its name from the German for “Jet Stream.”
- Passat: Passatwinde is German for “trade winds,” and it completes the naming convention for these 3 popular VW cars.
- Tiguan: The family-friendly SUV is the fusion of the words “tiger” and “iguana;” a truly unique name for a truly unique vehicle.
- Touareg: Encouraging new destinations, this SUV was named after the nomadic Tuareg people of the Saharan desert.
Find Your New Volkswagen Vehicle Today
At Mike Haggerty Volkswagen, we have the full lineup of new and used Volkswagen models for drivers from Orland Park to Countryside. Contact us to schedule a visit to our showroom, so you can test drive these Volkswagen models and learn about how to finance your new vehicle.
More from Mike Haggerty Volkswagen
Almost every owner wants the freedom to customize their vehicle in one way or another! Whether you spend most of your time in Orland Park or Palos Hills, it’s easy to stand out with the right set of Volkswagen Passat accessories. Whether you’re looking for added protection, new convenience features, or simply a more stylish ride, you’ll…
The 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan interior has something for everyone to enjoy! In addition to offering plenty of cargo space for your errands around Orland Park, the Tiguan gives you the option between two and three rows of seating! Best of all, its plush and smartly-designed interior comes equipped with tons of high-tech amenities and conveniences. Explore…
With a starting price of only $30,895 MSRP*, the 2019 Volkswagen Atlas is hard to beat! This three-row SUV from Volkswagen offers room for up to seven passengers, and since every trim offers generous amounts of cargo space and rear legroom, you’ll be able to satisfy the whole family. A wide selection of standard convenience…