What Do the Volkswagen Model Names Mean?
At Volkswagen Of Oak Lawn, we have a wide selection of vehicles for Chicago drivers, from new Volkswagen models to a diverse list of pre-owned cars — but our most common question is always about Volkswagen: what do the Volkswagen model names mean? We’re here to answer all Orland Park and Countryside drivers’ questions, including this popular bit of trivia.
What’s in a Name?
- Atlas: The first Volkswagen of its kind, the Atlas (pictured above) is a seven-passenger SUV built to carry your family wherever it’s headed. Could there be a better name than the titan who holds the Earth on his shoulders?
- Beetle: Originally the Volkswagen Type 1, this now-iconic car’s name sprung from a nickname from the way its original design resembled certain beetles (though not The Beatles). New Beetle models and used Beetle models still catch the eye.
- CC: The CC is a simple one; it’s just an abbreviation for “Comfort Coupe.”
- Eos: Eos was a Greek goddess who reigned over the dawn — could there be a more fitting name for a convertible with incredible views of the Chicago skyline?
- Golf: There was a brief trend with the smaller Volkswagen cars — like the Golf — naming them after natural occurrences, and the Golf gets its name from the German for Gulf Stream.
- Jetta: Much like the Golf, the Jetta takes its name from the German for “Jet Stream.”
- Passat: Passatwinde is German for “trade winds,” and it completes the naming convention for these 3 popular VW cars.
- Tiguan: The family-friendly SUV is the fusion of the words “tiger” and “iguana;” a truly unique name for a truly unique vehicle.
- Touareg: Encouraging new destinations, this SUV was named after the nomadic Tuareg people of the Saharan desert.
Find Your New Volkswagen Vehicle Today
At Volkswagen Of Oak Lawn, we have the full lineup of new and used Volkswagen models for drivers from Orland Park to Countryside. Contact us to schedule a visit to our showroom, so you can test drive these Volkswagen models and learn about how to finance your new vehicle.
More from Volkswagen Of Oak Lawn
The Volkswagen Jetta is a popular choice among Chicago drivers, and when you take one step inside the cabin of this stellar sedan, it’s not hard to see why. No matter which trim level you choose the Volkswagen Jetta interior is loaded with the comfort and convenience features you desire. Let’s take a closer look…
Oak Lawn drivers love the unique character and outstanding performance of the sporty 2020 Volkswagen Golf GTI. This beloved Volkswagen hatchback model already comes standard with tons of great features, but it’s always fun to upgrade with some Volkswagen GTI accessories to express your personal style! Take a closer look at some of your options for Volkswagen…
Drivers in Oak Lawn on the lookout for a new compact SUV have probably considered a 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan lease or ownership. Whether you opt for the standard trim, the Volkswagen Tiguan SE, or the Volkswagen Tiguan R line, you and your passengers will find a lot to enjoy inside this exciting new vehicle. Read on…