In past decades, drivers were told not to purchase a pre-owned vehicle with more than 100,000 miles on the odometer. Thankfully, vehicles today last a lot longer than they used to. You’re probably safe to choose a model with 150,000 miles or more, as long as it was made within the last decade. However, mileage certainly isn’t the only factor that you should consider!
Good Mileage for a Used Car: Competing Factors
When you’re trying to decide if a used car has good mileage, considering a few of these other important factors will help you determine how much is too much:
- How was it driven? – Highway driving is gentler on most engines than city driving. If a vehicle did a lot of heavy towing or off-roading, it might be more worn out than its mileage suggests.
- Where was it owned? – Vehicles tend to do best in warm, dry climates. Extreme heat, cold, or precipitation will cause vehicles to wear out more quickly.
- Do the mechanics check out? – Have a mechanic take a look at the car before you buy. If the vehicle has suffered structural damage or if it’s developed rust, it’s probably not a good purchase–even if the mileage is low.
Mileage vs. Age
Ultimately, the most important to ask when you’re searching for a used vehicle just might be, “How has this vehicle been cared for?” Here are a few things to consider when you’re weighing mileage vs. age:
- An older model with a lot of miles might still be a good buy if it’s received all of its regular maintenance appointments and oil changes.
- Conversely, an older car without many miles might be a liability. If it hasn’t been driven very often, it almost certainly hasn’t been maintained. Mechanical issues can develop over time, even if a vehicle is just sitting around.
- A vehicle with a well-documented history is almost always a better choice than a more mysterious rival, even if the latter looks better on paper.
Searching for low-mileage used cars for sale in Oak Lawn? Check out our certified pre-owned inventory today.
Find Your Next Used Vehicle at Mike Haggerty VW!
Now that you’ve seen what factors to consider when you’re choosing a used vehicle near Countryside, why don’t you take a look at our extensive used vehicle inventory. We host a wide variety of pre-owned Volkswagen, of course, but we also offer a selection of models from other popular makes!
Apply for financing or contact us to get started–and don’t forget to check out our pre-owned special offers, too!